Monday, September 15, 2008

KPE Swing 5km Fun Walk & Run 14 Sep 08

'Rise and Shine!!!' Beeped my handphone at 6am in the morning on a Sunday morning 14 Sep 08. Yes I know I said to myself..Aren't I already awake at 5.30am????!!!! Arrgghh..Dragging myself outta bed on Sunday morning!!!! You might think I am kidding but neh..it's for the KPE SWING!! My first 5km walk and run event with Ryan, Roger, David & Family, Catherine & Brandon and Ann! BOY!! Was I excited!! I went to the kitchen and grabbed myself 2 pieces of mooncake with egg yolk and mulberry milk, downed the breakfast though there wasn't much saliva production because I seldom got up so early on Sundays. Even Charcoal had to turn his head twice to confirm it was me who opened the front door. Heh heh heh. Ok..with such keen sense of smell, he can sniff me out miles away..who am I kidding hor? HAHAHAHAA Seeing the black one look so cute wagging his tail and poking his nose at me, I played with him and ruffled his ears and smelled his cheeks and patted his 'small' black head. hee hee hee. And then it was time to walk to the train station and meet Roger and Ryan at Kovan station. Don't ask me why I didn't take the shuttle from Tampines. I was just all too willing to get up that early because the engine just needs time to warm up.

Honestly, when the walk started, my brains were just getting up. And the wait..oh man..the wait before the start of the walk was tiring. There were hordes of people and we didn't want to go too much to the front because it was jam pack with people and more people and the pushing and shoving...not a good idea. After all, Catherine, Brandon, David and family and Ann and colleagues were still not here yet. They slowly loomed into sight after Ryan, Roger and I took pictures with the cheap red electronic lanterns and made as many monkey faces as we could to past the time. My red lantern 'ball' rolled off before the walk started!! HAHA It was a guiness record Singapore wanted to have so I guess 15,000 people holding on to lanterns could easily have overtaken the Germans' current record. FREE red lanterns. whether or not it works, whether the 'ball' falls off, doesn't make much of a difference. The sound of the horn and the first wave goes off! The 10km run for Men/Women/Veteran Open went off first. Soon after, our 5km Fun walk and run was flagged off!!! YIPPIE YAY!! There was music and drums playing as we walked into the tunnel. I agree with Ryan. He said it was like Lord of the Rings where the Orks were heading for war, slowly trudging forward towards enemy territory, preparing for battle.

500m into the tunnel, we reached a stretch of darkness where the red lights shone dimly as we moved along, not brightening our paths and soon an accident happened. A female runner supposedly for the 10km run knocked into an elderly lady who was in the free black KPE swing top.

Oh..I forgot to mention earlier that the free Tees came with the race pack that Roger and I collected on 6 Sep. They came in different colours - BLACK (which was pretty dumb because a black top in a dark surrounding?? Bad Combination), luminous ORANGE, GREEN and YELLOW! As for sizes, females were standard M and males XL. For some it seemed to fit ok, for others it was like drooping! Oh well..many wore their own tops, nevertheless.

As I was saying, the elderly lady got knocked down and though not entirely serious, there will surely be some superficial wounds bearing in mind of the surface we all were walking on! The lightings got quite boring after awhile because they were the same over and over and some people started leaving through the exits of the expressway. I wonder how they tracked the timing because there was no if not little demarcations for the 5km Walk & 10km Run.

Towards the last 2.5km, Ryan and I left Roger behind and ran towards the finish line (Eh..Roger said he was tired and told us to run along and that he will meet us later). We ran pretty fast I must say and the lane for the 10km runners were all pretty clear already so when we finished....we collected the goodie bag meant for the 10km runners! HAHAHAHA....I compared with Roger's and there was really no difference anyway...DUH!

Ryan was supposed to be doing the 10km run but because it was my first walk/run event, he companied me..SWEEEEEET! And Roger! You did well too! Waking up early for some exercise!! Don't forget our Tue/Wed run..HAHAHA..

So yah..there you have it...that pretty much summed up the morning for you...thereafter we headed back to Kovan for Macdonalds Big Breakfast!!! SLURP SLURP!! Aiyah..don't say all that exercise is for nothing leh....very hungry lah!!

0 comments: